Fundraising for Nonprofits

Inspiring Gifts that Transform

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Reading is fundamental

If you're like me, trying to decide what books to read, let alone which blogs to track, can be a challenge in and of itself. There are simply too many choices. That's why I love to get recommendations from friends and other trusted sources. The upcoming Philanthropy Carnival with its focus on philanthropy books promises to be such a resource. I just realized yesterday was the deadline for submissions, so I maybe too late with this post, but these would be my suggested submissions for the list.

Hank Rosso, Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising, 2nd edition.
Nothing else really compares to this, the bible of fundraising. Hank is rightly thought of as the godfather of contemporary fundraising, and this book brings together the collected thoughts of him and his peers. Editor Eugene Tempel, executive director at the Center on Philanthropy, work on the updated 2nd edition simply builds on perfection.

Kim Klein, Fundraising for Social Change.
This is easily my most dog-eared reference guide. During my early years as a fundraiser, I devoured this publication with relish. If you are starting out new in the field, this is the one book you must get. Honorable mention also to Raise More Money, a collection of articles from the Grassroots Fundraising Journal, edited by Kim and Stephanie Roth.

Cheryl Clarke, Storytelling for Grantseekers.
When I began my career in this field I was primarily a grant writer. This was the first resource guide I found that made sense to me. Imagine my surprise when years later Cheryl ended up becoming a close friend. But even if I didn't know her, I'd recommend this book without reservations to any aspiring grant writer. Her follow-up publication, written with another friend Susan Fox, Grant Proposal Makeover, is also highly recommended.

Andringa and Engstrom, Nonprofit Board Answer Book.
This book isn't really about fundraising, but I don't know a single professional fundraiser whose biggest challenge isn't working with their Board of Directors. Here's where to go to when you need quick answers and recommended best practices to show to your Board. For example, do you want your Board to better understand their role in fundraising? If so, simply show them chapter 7.

David Allen, Getting Things Done.
Okay, this book is not about fundraising either, but if you are to manage the multiple campaigns and objectives found within any fundraising plan -- let alone find time to write that plan -- this book is for you. I'm not exaggerating when I say, more than perhaps any other publication I've read in the last decade, this one has changed my life. The book's sub-title is the "Art of Stress-Free Productivity." And you know what, David delivers on his promise. Forget the 7 habits, this is the one guide you need to help create balance in your life.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home