Fundraising for Nonprofits

Inspiring Gifts that Transform

Monday, January 01, 2007

Philanthropy. Drivers wanted.

So I have a little New Year's resolution to share, which is to express gratitude more often in all of my life. We've never met, but I'd like to thank web maven Britt Bravo and her work for inspiring me to reach higher. So without further adieu, here are a few miscellaneous items I'm thankful for from this past week.

The blogosphere was awash with year-end donation suggestions, including give more than you spend on beer or give like a Mormon. My honest favorite was "give your child--or someone else’s child--$25 to spend on charity."

The New York Times continues its big-ticket philanthropy reportage by shedding a little light on back room operations at "a $2.5 billion fund-raising effort, which requires New York University to bring in, on average, $1 million a day." I'm just grateful I don't have to raise $4.3 billion.

It may surprise you I that put my television in storage over 5 years ago, only recently pulling it out to watch videos. Have no plans to install cable or even an antenna, so I'm probably going to have to ask a friend to tivo Oprah's The Big Give. Given the effect her book club has had on the publishing industry, I'm interested to see the impact, if any, it will have on the philanthropy world.

I’m sure it’s just me, but I just can’t get enough of Biffett. I mean, who writes this stuff?
"This tale was meant to be a buddy flick … A silver-haired Biffett, played by Steve Martin, vows that the young whippersnapper will never beat the old master. Biffett's bridge partner persuades him to lay down a bet of 10 million Class B shares of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., worth $31 billion. Cut to a close-up of Gates, smiling fiendishly as he hands out Xboxes to a line of orphans some 100 million deep … Suggested movie title: 'Bill and Warren's Excellent Adventure.'"
At least Melinda is finally getting some respect. Now we're being asked to "think of her as Princess Di with an MBA."

Finally, am very grateful to Carol at Dollar Philanthropy, who thoughtfully, but respectfully declined the Time Magazine Person of the Year Award, instead giving it to someone more deserving. I've been moved to decline as well, and ask the good folks at Time to please send my plaque to the Amish Community, who lost 10 young school-age girls earlier this year in an execution-style killing. Their response of unconditional love and forgiveness in the face of such suffering should be a model for us all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home